Volunteer and Study
|Location Available||Vancouver, Toronto, Montréal|
10 – 24 weeks
Full-Time or Full-Time Intensive
Every Monday except the last week of a session
Available in French or English in Montréal. Students complete all of their studies before beginning their volunteer experience.
Combine language study with unpaid volunteering in a not-for-profit organization that matches your skills and interests. In the Volunteer Experience, you will volunteer with a socially-forward, dynamic and innovative organization. Put your language skills to the test supporting important initiatives and causes in areas like the environment, community involvement, non-profit, arts & tourism and social/humanitarian. The study + volunteer experience package gives you the chance to:
- Develop your language skills in the classroom
- Practise your language skills in the community
- Get international volunteer experience by contributing your time and talents to an initiative that’s important to you
- Gain an in-depth understanding of local NGOs and business culture
- Receive extensive support and counselling from our Volunteer Experience Coordinators
What You'll Learn
Study English or French* in the classroom. Choose from ILSC's variety of language courses in areas like Communication, Academic and Test Prepration, Business language, and Cultural and Creative language to help you build your language skills. To prepare for the volunteer experience, we recommend you choose Business English, or equivalent courses.
*French available in Montreal only
Prepare for your Volunteer position:
- Participate in a Pre-Placement Workshop covering Canadian organizational culture, placement tips and common troubleshooting scenarios to prepare you for your placement.
- Meet with your coordinator for one-on-one support to help you clarify your goals for your volunteer experience, support you with interview skills, and to assess your language progress.
- Your Volunteer Experience Coordinator will arrange volunteer placement interviews that meet your interests.
The Volunteer Experience
Your volunteer experience will begin once you’ve completed your studies.
ILSC will provide you with support and monitoring throughout your placement. You will submit weekly reports that will help you get the most out of your experience and help ILSC keep track of your challenges, successes and learning.
Most importantly, you’ll enjoy the rewards of meeting new people, learning new skills, and making a difference in an area that’s important to you.
After completing your placement you’ll meet your coordinator for an evaluation and to receive your certificate of completion.
“This VEP program has enhanced both my personal and professional goals. You get great career training while improving your English at the same time. It also helps the local community and lets you spend quality time with English-speakers! I have made unforgettable memories here and I’m sure it will be the same for you. If there is something you want to do, just go for it. I was able to do this through my VEP internship."
Yulee Choi, Korea