Living in Australia

Learn what to expect and how to make the most of you experience as a student in Australia

Experience Life in Australia

Living, studying and working in Australia offers an exciting and life-changing experience. Below you’ll find some of the key information you need to easily navigate your Australian student experience. Learn what to expect, how to stay safe, and what your responsibilities are.

Cost of Living

Students should ensure that they have sufficient funds to cover their living expenses while studying at Greystone College Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. In addition to tuition fees, airfares and OSHC, living costs may include but are not limited to: rent, food, groceries, transport, utilities, entertainment and clothing. Please visit for comprehensive information on living in Australia.

Students who bring dependent family members to Australia are responsible for their financial needs. School age children (5-16 years old) living in Australia for more than three months are required to attend school full-time. Students are required to pay full fees for their children in both public and private schools.

Working in Australia

You may be eligible to work in Australia while you study, depending on your visa. Most student visas allow you to work for up to 48 hours every two weeks while your course is in session, and unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break, but before you undertake any paid work you need to make sure your visa allows you to work. Find out more at the Department of Home Affairs website.

Your Work Rights

Everyone working in Australia, including international students or those on working holiday visas, have basic rights at work. These rights protect entitlement to:

  • A minimum wage and superannuation.
  • Challenge of unfair dismissal from the job.
  • Leave, breaks and rest periods.
  • A healthy and safe work environment.

To learn more about your work rights visit Fair Work Ombudsman website. An Australian workplace should also be safe workplace. Your employer must comply with workplace health and safety laws and ensure you are covered by insurance. For a list of your rights and protections read “Working Safely in Australia” created by Safe Work Australia

Tax File Number (TFN)

Once you have working rights, you will need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) for taxation purposes. You can apply for a TFN online, using the TFN Application Form.

Consumer Protection

Australia has a strong consumer protection framework to protect the rights of Australian consumers, including international students in Australia. The Australian Consumer Law includes a national law guaranteeing consumer rights when buying goods and services. You should contact the and consumer agency in your state or territory, if you:

  • Would like information about your consumer rights.
  • Have a problem with a consumer good or service that you have bought or are considering buying.
  • Would like to know how a business should behave under the law.
  • Would like to make a complaint about a business

Your Safety

Emergencies: If you are in a life-threatening emergency, call 000 (zero, zero, zero). This is a free call. The operator will ask you which service you need:- Police, Fire or Ambulance. Remember, if you are on campus, we have trained staff available to offer first aid assistance.

Personal: We are lucky in Australia, it is generally a safe place to live and study. However, like all big cities, you should always stay aware of your surroundings, and don't take unnecessary risks.

Sun and Water: Australia is well known for its beaches. Before you visit Bondi Beach, Surfers Paradise or any of our beautiful beaches, visit the Beachsafe website to learn more about some unpredictable dangers.

Banks and Your Money

Australian currency is the legal tender in Australia. Money Exchange facilities are located at international airports, banks and major shopping centres. Travellers cheques are easier to use if already in Australian dollars, however, banks will cash travellers cheques in virtually any currency.

We recommend students set up an Australian bank account. You will need to provide your visa and evidence of residency. All major banks have a branch in cities and regional centres. Most shopping centres have Automatic Teller Machines (ATM) facilities.

Overseas Student Health Cover

International students undertaking formal studies in Australia, and their dependents (for example, spouses and children under 18 years old), must obtain OSHC. It includes cover for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals (medicines). OSHC insurers can provide a range of different OSHC products.

Greystone College can also help you arrange Overseas Student Health Cover (student medical insurance) through our trusted insurance partners.  Learn more about your overseas student health cover options.

Ready to make the next step?