Trinity CertTESOL is awarded to candidates who have completed the course and who have met the assessment criteria for all written and practical assignments.
Trainees will be expected to demonstrate the following learning outcomes on completion of the course:
- Knowledge of the main grammatical, lexical and phonological features of standard English
- Awareness of the learning needs of individuals or groups of learners, and of the motivation of learners in a variety of cultures and contexts
- Ability to establish rapport and create and maintain learners’ interest
- Ability to draw up a range of lesson plans with clear and achievable aims, using appropriate methods for learners with various needs
- Ability to manage and stimulate active participation among a class of learners and provide a relevant learning environment and learning opportunities in relation to their learning objectives
- Ability to evaluate, use and adapt published material and create simple teaching material, which may include using the internet, visual aids, audio, video and ICT
- Broad understanding of the main advantages and disadvantages of various language teaching approaches
- Ability to evaluate their own effectiveness as teachers and to work co-operatively as members of a teaching team
- Awareness of the need to continue their development as English language teachers
- Awareness of the means of finding a TESOL post after training and of the main issues relevant to employment in this area
Trinity CertTESOL is internally assessed and externally moderated by a Trinity approved assessor, who samples portfolios and teaching practice and who discusses and checks the grades for all candidates.
All assessments are given a pass/fail status by the Moderator, and all must be passed to achieve the qualification.