Visas & Medical Insurance

ILSC provides general information about visa requirements in our country of study; however, this information is subject to change, and is determined by the designated government bodies in each country. For the most accurate and up to date visa information, please visit the links listed, or contact ILSC.

ILSC recommends that all students have valid medical insurance to cover them for the duration of their stay. In some locations, medical insurance coverage is a requirement for securing your visa.


Canada Visas

You can find out if you need a visa, and what type of visa you need, using the government of Canada’s "Come to Canada Wizard.” General visa information follows.


Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa)

International students who wish to study in Canada for up to 6 months may need a Visitor Visa depending on the country for which they hold a passport. Please check the list of Countries and Territories Whose Citizens Require Visas in order to enter Canada as visitors.


Study Permit

Students do not need a "Study Permit" for study programs that last 6 months or less.


If you plan to study in Canada for longer than 6 months, you must obtain a Study Permit and, for ILSC-Montréal applicants, a Certificate of Acceptance for Quebec (CAQ.) These are available through your local Canadian Embassy.


Students may apply for a Study Permit even if they are going to study for 6 months or less. If students are coming for less than 6 months and are thinking of possibly extending their studies to more than 6 months, they should apply for a Study Permit in their home country. Students can extend their Study Permit from within Canada, but they cannot get a Study Permit from within Canada.


Students will need to include the DLI* number for their chosen ILSC Language Schools location when applying for their study permit:

 ILSC-Vancouver DLI: O19275396842

 ILSC-Toronto DLI: O19375697742

 ILSC-Montréal DLI: O19359201512**

*Designated Learning Institution

** ILSC-Montréal has a framework affiliation agreement with CEGEP de la Gaspésie et des Îles, and shares the same DLI number. If you register to study at ILSC-Montreal, you will be issued a joint Letter of Acceptance including the logos of both schools.

Canada Medical Insurance

British Columbia (ILSC–Vancouver campus)

Please obtain private medical insurance for your first six months. You can purchase medical insurance through ILSC, please contact us for details.

Ontario and Quebec (ILSC–Toronto and ILSC–Montréal campuses)

Please obtain private medical insurance before your arrival. Provincial medical plans do not cover international students. You can purchase medical insurance through ILSC, please contact us for details.

USA Visas

You can find out if you need a visa, and what type of visa you need by visiting your nearest US Embassy or Consulate. General visa information follows.


Visitor Visa

The Visitor Visa is a non-immigrant visa for foreign citizens desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1), or for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2).

If you are entering the United States primarily for tourism, but want to take a short course of study of less than 18 hours per week (Full-Time schedule at ILSC), you may be able to do so with a visitor visa. If your course of study is more than 18 hours a week, you will need a student visa.

Information about tourism and visiting the USA

Information about visitor visas

Programs available to Students with Visitor Visas


Visa Waiver Program

Foreign citizens coming to the U.S. for tourism or business for 90 days or less from qualified countries may be eligible to visit the U.S. without a visa and study less than 18 hours per week if they meet the visa waiver program requirements. Visit the U.S. Department of state Visa Waiver Program site to see if your country qualifies.

Information about the visa waiver program


Student Visa

The F-1 student visa is a non-immigrant visa for foreign citizens whose primary purpose of entering the United States is to study. Students enrolling in one of the following schedules at ILSC must obtain an F-1 student visa: 'Full-Time Plus' or 'Full-Time Intensive'. Students applying for an F-1 student visa need to obtain a SEVIS* generated I-20 form from ILSC.

In order to receive an I-20 form, please submit the following documents to ILSC along with your application:

  • Financial proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses for the duration of your studies (= the total tuition of your program plus $1300/month for living expenses)
  • A copy of your passport

The U.S. Department of State encourages students to apply for their visa as soon as they are prepared to do so to provide ample time for visa processing. First time student visa applicants are, in most countries, required to appear for an in-person interview. However, each embassy and consulate sets its own interview policies and procedures regarding student visas. Students should consult Embassy web sites or call for specific application instructions.

*SEVIS is a system that maintains accurate and current information on non-immigrant students from the time a school issues an I-20 form for them. SEVIS enables schools to transmit mandatory information and event notifications via the internet to the Department of Homeland Security and Department of State throughout a student’s stay in the United States.

Information about student visas

Courses & Programs available to students with Student Visas include the University Pathway Program and any Full-Time Plus or Full-Time Intensive program.


USA Medical Insurance

ILSC–San Francisco and ILSC–New York

Upon arrival, all ILSC students must show proof of valid medical insurance for their entire term at ILSC. Medical Insurance should be adequate to cover US medical costs.

Students may acquire insurance from their own country through their agency, or on their own.

Australia Visas

All students planning to study at ILSC Australia will require an appropriate visa. The following is general information. Visa regulations are determined by the Immigration Department in Australia and are subject to change. Please verify visa information with the nearest Australian Embassy or Consulate. Please refer to the following website to determine what type of visa you will need to study at ILSC-Australia: Visa Options.


Student Visa

Students applying for a Student Visa must be enrolled for Full-Time study and submit an electronic confirmation of enrollment from the school, along with the appropriate visa paperwork. On approval from Australian immigration a Student Visa will be issued for the duration of your studies, and allows students to get permission to work 20 hours a week, with some restrictions.


Working Holiday Visa

Students who apply for and receive a Working Holiday Visa can study for up to 17 weeks and can work full-time for a maximum of 6 months for one employer. Students on this visa are responsible for arranging their own heath and travel insurance.


Other Visas

There are other visas that may allow study options as part of their conditions. Please check with the immigration link above or with the closest embassy or consulate. However, students with focused long term study needs should come on a Student Visa.


Australia Medical Insurance

ILSC–Sydney and ILSC–Brisbane

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is a compulsory requirement for a student visa. ILSC can arrange the purchase of OSHC for all students enrolled at our school. Visit for more information.

New Delhi Visas

The length and type of visa available to you will vary depending on your country of citizenship.

Please check with your local Indian embassy or consulate for current information about visa applications, or contact inquiry[at]ilsc[dot]in for assistance.

New Delhi Medical Insurance

ILSC highly recommends that students acquire travel health coverage for the duration of their stay in India.