About San Francisco
This hip, modern city offers the perfect balance of awesome culture and incredible nature.
Learn English in San Francisco, a stunning city located along the Northern Coast of California, with unique landscape, and cultural flair. With its steep rolling hills, and quaint street cars, its picturesque parks, and seaside neighbourhoods, San Francisco has a relaxed west coast feel that reflects its natural scenery, and the inclusive, open-minded attitudes of the locals. The city boasts the largest Chinatown outside of Asia, and with over 30% of the population born outside of the United States, San Francisco has an amazing multicultural mix.
Study English in San Francisco
The ILSC-San Francisco campus is conveniently located in the city’s downtown core, close to public transit, banks, restaurants, shopping and more!
94111 United States
- We offer A+ Support Service which inclused FREE one-on-one tutoring, and academic advising to help you achieve your goals!
- Both our USA locations offer a strong emphasis on foundational skills and a variety of options to support the growth of your business language skills, including Executive Business English Certificates, and a Volunteer Experience program where you can volunteer with local NGOs
- A variety of English course and program options are available for students hoping to attend University or College in the USA. In addition to the University Pathway Program, ILSC-San Francisco also has a University Admissions Service, and an on campus English study + GMAT or GRE preparation program offered with The Princeton Review.
- Unique courses and programs include the Leader in Training Program and the English through San Francisco course.
- NEW PM schedules offer a wider variety of study options!
View Available Programs & Courses
|Average Monthly High Temperatures|
If you are coming in from an international flight, you will be landing at the the San Francisco International Airport, which is located approximately 40 minutes from the school by public transit. The BART Rapid Rail service regularly departs the International Terminal for downtown San Francisco.
If you request airport pickup, your homestay family or an ILSC staff will meet you at the airport and bring you to your accommodation.
When arriving at ILSC-San Francisco, you must show proof of valid medical insurance for your entire time studying with us. You can organize insurance in your own country through your agency, on your own, or ILSC can help you arrange it through Guard Me International Insurance. Visit www.guard.me for more information.
Health and Safety
San Francisco is generally a very safe place to live and study, but it is important to look after yourself and always be aware of your surroundings. Be sure to look after your belongings, and avoid carrying large amounts of cash with you. Always use your common sense, whether at school, home or outdoors.
Tipping and Taxes
In the USA tipping is generally expected in restaurants, bars, hotels and other service industries such as hairdressers and taxis. It is customary to tip approximately 15% on the total bill in restaurants. Keep in mind that many restaurants and bars will automatically charge 18% or more for larger groups, so make sure you check the bill before calculating your tip. Taxes are generally not included in the advertised price of goods in California. Most products and services are subject to an 8.75% sales tax, which will be charged when you pay.
Most car rental companies in California require drivers to be 21 years of age, however many companies will charge additional fees for drivers below the age of 25.
Typical Living Costs
While in San Francisco you should make sure you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses while you're studying. In addition to tuition fees, airfares and medical insurance, living costs may include but are not limited to: rent, food, groceries, transport, utilities, entertainment and clothing.
- Average cost of a meal: $7 to $15
- Average cost of a drink: $3 to $5
- Average cost of groceries: $40 to $100 per week
- Cover charge at a club: $5 to $15
- Movie ticket: $12 to $15
- Public transportation: $10 to $50 per week
- Phone and Internet: $15 to $40 per week
- Accommodation costs: $250 to $400 per week
This is a guide ONLY. Prices are subject to change. All prices in USD
San Francisco is famous for its year-round mild weather. The summer months are June to August where temperatures range from 12°C to 21°C. This time of year is when the famous fog rolls in, making the mornings a little cool, but by midday the fog burns off, opening up clear blue sunny skies. The winter months, December to February, temperatures range from 6°C to 15°C. These milder winter conditions mean you can enjoy outdoor activities all year round as long as you have some warm layers for the chilly winds.
San Francisco’s public transport system has a great network of subway, train, bus and ferry services operating throughout the downtown and metropolitan areas. For more information on the services available, timetables, ticket costs and more visit: www.sfmta.com.
Legal Drinking Age
The legal age to buy and drink alcohol in California, USA is 21 years.
Connect with friends at ILSC and explore San Francisco with daily after-school activities. Activities vary depending on the season and can include things like cycling, rollerblading, surfing, city sight-seeing, beach barbecues and more! Afternoon activities typically have minimal fees and an ILSC teacher or activities coordinator will be your guide.
We are busy all year round bringing the ILSC-San Francisco community together with Christmas and Halloween parties, sports days, barbecues and other fun activities! Our ongoing school events offer a great opportunity for you to get together with fellow students and ILSC staff. Come share in the good times with new friends from the four corners of the globe
Get out of town with ILSC! Explore the many wonders of California, from fun cities, to the incredible outdoors. Check out Las Vegas or Los Angeles for shopping, colourful nightlife, and celebrity spotting. Go wine tasting and outlet shopping in Napa Valley, or explore spectacular forests, granite cliffs and beautiful waterfalls in Yosemite National Park.
Make a Difference in the World
One of the best ways to live like a local and to connect with San Franciscans is to volunteer for a cause you care about in the local community. The Activities Department can connect you to fun and interesting volunteer opportunities that will provide you with experience and references to add to your resumé, and it’s a great way to make new friends. Not to mention, volunteering is also a great way to “be the change you want to see in the world.”
Check out our Activities Calendars to see What's Happening!
Live with a Homestay Family
Are you looking for a home away from home? Be welcomed into one of ILSC’s Homestay families, and experience a supportive living environment. It is an excellent opportunity to practice your English conversation skills and experience the diversity of American culture and family life.
ILSC’s Homestay Families:
- Are located between 45-60 minutes travelling distance from the school
- Provide you with a clean, comfortable, private room, equipped with a desk, bed, dresser, closet and good lighting
- Are culturally diverse and reflect San Francisco’s multicultural population
- Are safe, secure, inspected and approved by our Student Accommodation department
- Can provide healthy meals for students (breakfast, and dinner if applicable), and a kitchen for preparing your own meals for Breakfast only students.
|Half-board Homestay||Breakfast Only Homestay|
Are you feeling adventurous? Do you want to experience San Francisco on your own, or with other students or travelers? ILSC can connect you with a wide selection of accommodation options that meet a range of budgets and tastes, including:
- Student residences
- Furnished apartments
- And more!
Check out our accommodations partners in San Francisco: