About New York
A global, trendsetting city, and a world center for fashion, finance, film, music and so much more.
Learn English in New York City, the heart of American culture, diversity and spirit. New York is also the birthplace of many arts, music and political movements, so it’s no wonder that people from around the world are drawn to this big bustling city. Study here and you’ll find yourself in the midst of a place where anything feels possible, and where your dreams and passions can flourish. New York feels new and familiar all at the same time—it’s the city you recognize from so many iconic films, but the real New York has so much more for you to discover. “Be a part of it. New York, New York.”
Study English in New York
The ILSC campus is centrally located downtown in Manhattan, close to the famous Brooklyn Bridge. Wall Street, City Hall, and many other iconic sights are all within close walking distance from the school.
10038 United States
Official Language Tests
- Our FREE mentorship program means that every student gets teamed up with a staff mentor who can answer any questions they might have - from the school experience, to where to get the best New York pizza, and more!
- Both our USA locations offer a strong emphasis on foundational skills and a variety of options to support the growth of your business language skills, including Executive Business English Certificates, and a Volunteer Experience program where you can volunteer with local NGOs
- Connect with ILSC staff and students at our FREE after-class workshops - learn about art, cooking and more!
- A variety of English course and program options are available for students hoping to attend University or College in the USA. In addition to the University Pathway Program, ILSC-New York also has a University Admissions Service, and an on campus English study + GMAT or GRE preparation program offered with The Princeton Review.
- NEW PM schedules offer a wider variety of English study options!
View Available Programs & Courses
|Average Monthly High Temperatures|
If you are coming in on an international flight, you will likely land at one of the two main international airports servicing New York City. John F. Kennedy International Airport and La Guardia Airport are both located approximately 60 minutes from the school by public transit, Newark airport in neighbouring New Jersey is also about 60 minutes from the school. The AirTrain service regularly departs both International Terminals for Manhattan. Visit www.panynj.gov/airports for more information on transportation options.
If you request airport pickup ILSC will arrange a car service to meet you at the airport and bring you to your accommodation.
When arriving at ILSC-New York, you must show proof of valid medical insurance for your entire time studying with us. You can organize insurance in your own country through your agency, on your own, or ILSC can help you arrange it through Guard Me International Insurance. Visit www.guard.me for more information.
Health and Safety
New York City is generally a very safe place to live and study, but it is important to look after yourself and always be aware of your surroundings. Take care of your belongings, and avoid carrying large amounts of cash with you. Always use your common sense, whether at school, at home or outdoors. You should also secure adequate health insurance coverage to cover US medical costs before arrival.
Tipping and Taxes
In the USA tipping is generally expected in restaurants, bars, hotels and other service industries such as hairdressers and taxis. It is customary to tip approximately 15% on the total bill in restaurants. Keep in mind that many restaurants and bars will automatically charge 18% or more for larger groups, so make sure you check the bill before calculating your tip. Taxes are not included in the advertised price of most goods in New York City. Most products are subject to an 8.875% sales tax, which will be charged when you pay.
Most car rental companies in New York require drivers to be 21 years of age, however many companies will charge additional fees for drivers below the age of 25.
Typical Living Costs
While in New York you should make sure you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses while you're studying. In addition to tuition fees, airfares and medical insurance, living costs may include but are not limited to: rent, food, groceries, transport, utilities, entertainment and clothing.
- Average cost of a meal: $7 to $15
- Average cost of a drink: $7 to $12
- Average cost of groceries: $40 to $50 per week
- Cover charge at a club: $15 to $25
- Movie ticket: $15 to $20
- Broadway ticket: $50-$120
- Public transportation: $15 to $50 per week
- Phone and Internet: $15 to $40 per week
- Accommodation costs: $322 to $581 per week
This is a guide ONLY. Prices are subject to change. All prices in USD
New York City’s climate goes from one extreme to the other from winter to summer! The winter months from December to February, temperatures can range from -5°C to 12°C and it’s not uncommon for snow storms to roll through, so be sure to pack a warm coat and gloves! The summer months from June to August are very hot and humid. If you enjoy the heat, you’re in luck! Temperatures range anywhere between 21°C to 37°C, so prepare for hot sunny days and warm nights.
New York City’s public transport system has a great network of subway, train, and bus services operating throughout downtown and metropolitan areas. For more information on the services available, timetables, ticket costs and more visit: www.mta.info.
Legal Drinking Age
The legal age to buy and drink alcohol in New York, USA is 21 years.
Connect with friends at ILSC and explore New York with daily after-school activities. Activities vary depending on the season and can include things like cycling, rollerblading, kayaking, skating, museum visits, movie nights, walking tours and more! Afternoon activities typically have minimal fees and an ILSC teacher or activities coordinator will be your guide.
We are busy all year round bringing the ILSC-New York community together with Christmas and Halloween parties, sports days, barbecues and other fun activities! Our ongoing school events offer a great opportunity for you to get together with fellow students and ILSC staff. Come share in the good times with new friends from the four corners of the globe.
Get out of town with ILSC! Explore the many amazing urban and natural sites of Eastern USA. Discover the US capital city of Washington D.C., visit Long Island’s incredible beaches, take a trip to Vermont, one of New York's neighbouring states, or head out of the city and into nature for hiking or skiing in the beautiful Catskill Mountains.
Make a Difference in the World
One of the best ways to live like a local and to connect with New Yorkers is to volunteer for a cause you care about in the local community. The Activities Department can connect you to fun and interesting volunteer opportunities that will provide you with experience and references to add to your resumé, and it’s a great way to make new friends. Not to mention, volunteering is also a great way to “be the change you want to see in the world.”
Check out our Activities Calendars to see What's Happening!
Live with a Homestay Family
Are you looking for a home away from home? Be welcomed into one of ILSC’s Homestay families, and experience a supportive living environment. It is an excellent opportunity to practice your English conversation skills and experience the diversity of American culture and family life.
ILSC’s Homestay Families:
- Are located between 40-60 minutes travelling distance from the school
- Provide you with a clean, comfortable, private room, equipped with a desk, bed, dresser, closet and good lighting
- Are culturally diverse and reflect New York’s multicultural population
- Are safe, secure, inspected and approved by our Student Accommodation Department
- Can provide healthy meals for students (breakfast, and dinner if applicable), and a kitchen for preparing your own meals for Breakfast only students.
|Half-board Homestay||Breakfast Only Homestay|
Are you feeling adventurous? Do you want to experience New York on your own, or with other students or travelers? ILSC can connect you with a wide selection of accommodation options that meet a range of budgets and tastes, including:
- Student residences
- Furnished apartments
- And more!
Check out our accommodations partners in New York: